The collection documents facilities planning and construction activities of the Duke University Medical Center. These materials also show the evolution of responsibility for health facilities planning and administration during a period of extensive building activity that occurred before the organization of the Facilities Planning, Design and Construction Office within the Medical Center and Health System Architect's Office. Included are records of major planning initiatives and specific building projects from the offices of Louis E. Swanson, an early director of the Medical Center Planning Office, and Dr. Jane G. Elchlepp, the first assistant dean for planning. In addition to correspondence, memoranda, committee minutes, statistical reports, and planning reference materials, the collection contains design studies and long-range planning proposals completed between 1952 and 1998. Presentation drawings and graphics span the years 1964 to 2000. The collection also contains photographs, slides, and other documentation pertaining to the planning and construction of Duke Hospital North from 1973 to 1980. Materials date from 1952 to 2013.
This collection documents the history of health facilities planning for Duke Health. It was created from variously accessioned materials that reflect the functions of several different committees and offices over the course of the period covered, as well as roles of key individuals, In order to document the evolution and formalization of medical facilities planning during an important period in the development of the Duke University Medical Center.
Materials used for reference in the planning process can be found throughout these records in the form of newspaper clippings, facilities surveys, statistical reports, copies of medical and architectural journal articles, slides, photographs, diagrams, and numerous brochures describing medical facilities at other institutions. Particularly noteworthy is a letter from E. H. Clement to architect Horace Trumbauer, Philadelphia, PA, dated August 2, 1937, advising on proper methods for handling all stages of work with "Duke stone." Clement's company contracted the stone work on the university's West Campus in the 1920s. His letter instructs on proper methods for quarrying, preparing mortar, staging, pointing, and laying stone in the Duke context (Box 1, Folder 14). Also of interest is a summation of the history of health facilities planning at Duke University, prepared in 1975 by Louis E. Swanson as a lecture for a course in health administration (Box 3, Folder 11). Long range planning proposals prepared in 1952, 1961, and 1973 by firms that specialized in medical center development, as well as a 1963 design study by the architectural firm Caudill, Rowlett and Scott, are significant documents in Duke University Medical Center planning history.
It includes records from the offices of Louis E. Swanson, chairman of the Medical Center Building Committee (1952-1964) and Facilities Committee (1964-1976), as well as director of the Medical Center Planning Office (1967-1976), and Jane G. Elchlepp, associate professor of pathology and the first assistant dean for planning (1965-1969). Also housed in this collection are records pertaining to long range planning, Duke Hospital North planning materials, and a 1992 parking and traffic study. It consists of correspondence, memoranda, committee minutes and reports, planning documents, photographs, slides, audiocassette tapes, building plans, site plans, diagrams, and blueprints generated between 1952 and 1988. Some planning documents are in the form of multi-volume long-range development proposals commissioned from nationally prominent architectural and management consulting firms. Also included are presentation drawings of buildings (originals and photo reproductions) and other graphic materials spanning the years 1964 to 2013. Materials date from 1952 to 2013.