Contains audio, video, and a small amount of digital photographs documenting the history of Duke University Medical Center. Coverage includes documentaries, alumni gatherings, interviews, speeches, lectures, conferences, awards, tributes, groundbreakings, building dedications, grand rounds, and student-faculty shows. People featured in the collection include: Jay M. Arena; William G. Anlyan; Lenox D. Baker; Ivan W. Brown; F. Bayard Carter; Elon Clark; Martin M. Cummings; Wilburt C. Davison; Victor J. Dzau; Wiley D. Forbus; Joseph C. Greenfield, Jr.; Charles B. Hammond; Philip Handler; Merel Harmel; Barton F. Haynes; Leslie Hohman; Charles Johnson; Samuel L. Katz; Joseph E. Markee; Robert J. Reeves; David T. Smith; Eugene A. Stead, Jr.; Andrew G. Wallace; and Barnes Woodhall. Groundbreakings and building dedications include: The Bryan Research Building; the Alyea Urology Clinic; Davison Circle at the Durham Veterans Administration Hospital; the Duke University Eye Center; the Nanaline H. Duke Medical Science Building; the Seeley G. Mudd Building; the Woodhall Building; the Duke Center for Living; Duke Hospital North; and the Founders' Wall. Other items of note include Wilburt C. Davison's Dave at Roaring Gap, MEDSAC and Quail Roost conference recordings, a 14-part orientation of Duke Hospital North, documentaries about the 65th General Hospital, documentaries about Duke's hyperbaric chamber, and the multi-part interview series "Before the Colors Fade." The "Documentaries" series includes news broadcasts and television shows, including the 13-episode series "HOSPITAL" that aired on the Discovery Channel in 2000. Materials in this collection have been acquired from multiple sources. Some of the materials have been separated from existing collections. Materials range in date from 1946 to 2023.
Contains minutes from the clinical services executive committee which discuss issues related to the Duke University Medical Center including departmental head appointments, accreditations, and operation and patient room utilization. Materials range in date from 1990 to 1991.
Contains correspondence, project proposals, notes, contracts, newspaper clippings, receipts, poems, reports, and programming lists. Materials range in date from 1977 to 1997.
Contains death masks for Wilburt C. Davison (1892-1972) first dean of the Duke University School of Medicine, Frederic M. Hanes (1883-1946) second chair of the Department of Medicine, William A. Perlzweig (1891-1949) first chair of the Department of Biochemistry, Francis H. Swett (1893-1943) first chair of the Department of Anatomy, and Robert R. Jones Jr. (1902-1941) original member of the Department of Surgery who was murdered by a patient. One of the Hanes masks might be a life mask instead of a death mask. Some of the masks have hair stuck in the plaster. Materials range in date from circa 1941 to 1972.
Materials relate to the administration and research projects of the Division of Rheumatology and Immunology. Types of materials include annual review reports, grant applications, curriculum vitae, articles, correspondence, reports, handbooks, budgets, flyers, program brochures, meeting agendas, and floorplans.. Materials range in date from 1988 to 2005.
Includes an oral history interview with Dr. Daniels on July 7, 1969.
Contents of this interview are unknown.
Contains notebooks, conference papers, writings, agendas, participant lists, observer lists, publications, photographs, and published proceedings. The collection also contains thirty-eight 10-inch audio tape recordings of the third through eighth conferences (1978-1983), as well as CDs for 2004 and 2006. Materials range in date from 1977 to 2006.
Contains meeting minutes, planning files, reports, construction notes, blueprints, conceptual drawings, correspondence, reference materials, accounting and revenue records, sound recordings, photographs, photographic slides, and negatives. These materials relate to the construction and maintenance of Duke Hospital North, particularly the hospital's Amphitheatre, as well as the concurrent construction of the Communications Center and Medical Library. Materials date from 1972 to 1986.
Duke Hospital North Records, 1972-1986 2.59 Linear Feet (1 carton, 1 manuscript box, 1 flat box, and 3 audio boxes)
Contains correspondence, meeting minutes, memoranda, floorplans, charts, reports, articles, notes, and surveys. Materials range in date from 1979 to 1982 but the bulk of the material is undated.
This collection documents the history of health facilities planning for Duke Health. It was created from variously accessioned materials that reflect the functions of several different committees and offices over the course of the period covered, as well as roles of key individuals, In order to document the evolution and formalization of medical facilities planning during an important period in the development of the Duke University Medical Center.
Materials used for reference in the planning process can be found throughout these records in the form of newspaper clippings, facilities surveys, statistical reports, copies of medical and architectural journal articles, slides, photographs, diagrams, and numerous brochures describing medical facilities at other institutions. Particularly noteworthy is a letter from E. H. Clement to architect Horace Trumbauer, Philadelphia, PA, dated August 2, 1937, advising on proper methods for handling all stages of work with "Duke stone." Clement's company contracted the stone work on the university's West Campus in the 1920s. His letter instructs on proper methods for quarrying, preparing mortar, staging, pointing, and laying stone in the Duke context (Box 1, Folder 14). Also of interest is a summation of the history of health facilities planning at Duke University, prepared in 1975 by Louis E. Swanson as a lecture for a course in health administration (Box 3, Folder 11). Long range planning proposals prepared in 1952, 1961, and 1973 by firms that specialized in medical center development, as well as a 1963 design study by the architectural firm Caudill, Rowlett and Scott, are significant documents in Duke University Medical Center planning history.
It includes records from the offices of Louis E. Swanson, chairman of the Medical Center Building Committee (1952-1964) and Facilities Committee (1964-1976), as well as director of the Medical Center Planning Office (1967-1976), and Jane G. Elchlepp, associate professor of pathology and the first assistant dean for planning (1965-1969). Also housed in this collection are records pertaining to long range planning, Duke Hospital North planning materials, and a 1992 parking and traffic study. It consists of correspondence, memoranda, committee minutes and reports, planning documents, photographs, slides, audiocassette tapes, building plans, site plans, diagrams, and blueprints generated between 1952 and 1988. Some planning documents are in the form of multi-volume long-range development proposals commissioned from nationally prominent architectural and management consulting firms. Also included are presentation drawings of buildings (originals and photo reproductions) and other graphic materials spanning the years 1964 to 2013. Materials date from 1952 to 2013.